ODS - Organisation Type - Roles

I’m working on a system that was created about 5 years ago. I can see that data was imported from ODS. We are mainly concerned with GPs and their commissioners (was CCG, now sub-ICB).

The system uses an enum called Organisation Type:
public enum OrganisationTypeCode
{
[Display(Name = “PRESCRIBING COST CENTRE”)]
[ODSRoleId(“RO177”)]
PrescribingCostCentre = 51,

[Display(Name = "NHS ENGLAND (REGION)")]
 [ODSRoleId("RO209")]
 NHSEnglandRegion = 62,

[Display(Name = "STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP")]
 [ODSRoleId("RO261")]
 StrategicPartnership = 100,

[Display(Name = "CLINICAL COMMISSIONING GROUP")]
 [ODSRoleId("RO98")]
 ClinicalCommissioningGroup = 136

}

I can’t see Organisation Type exposed in any current ODS datasets, but we do have primary and secondary roles. There appears to be a correspondence between the organisation type descriptions and that used for roles, so I’ve added an ODSRoleId attribute to make our processing easier.

Question: did organisation type originate in ODS, and has now been replaced by roles? Or perhaps its origin lies in another data source I’ve not yet discovered?

Hi Michael

ODS APIs/XML files have always referred to roles (introduced in 2018), with Primary Role being the equivalent of an Organisation Type, ie:

Legacy products such as the ODS Portal (which will soon be replaced by ODS Data Search and Export which is currently in public beta) certainly refer to Organisation Type (name) rather than primary role, but the data displayed would the same/equivalent. The Spine / CIS contains the attribute ‘OrgType’ but again, this is fed by primary role data.

Every ODS code/organisation must have one and only one primary role, but can have zero to many non primary roles.

Thanks, Laura (Business Analyst, ODS)

I see that the ods portal has a type filter, looking at the drop down values I see

Curiously the value for prescribing cost centre is 130, whereas the value in my enum is 51. This would suggest its another organisation type.

These numbers are ID values from the HTML code for the ODS Portal (where presc cost centre is 130 in your example). This table, and all others in the database, are recreated each night and so can change - they shouldn’t be relied upon for reference data. The API roles code systems is the authoritative source for role IDs, role names and primary role flags, where ‘Primary Roles’ are our recommended way for customers to reference the “type” of an organisation.
https://directory.spineservices.nhs.uk/ORD/2-0-0/roles?_format=xml