Hi, some calls to cancel an appointment in the INT environment via Update Appointment (A034) have returned a success response when the cancellation wasn’t successful due to an error in the PAS system. Does A034 not wait to ensure the cancellation succeeds?
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for reporting this.
To help us look into this could you please share:
- The UBRNs and approx timestamps for the affected cancellations in INT
- Any correlation IDs from the A034 repsonses you recieved
In the meantime, if you retrieve the appointment (A038) shortly after cancelling, that should confirm whether the appointment was genuinely cancelled.
Thanks,
George
Hi George,
It happened a few times for UBRN 000049839464 on 2026-09-08 around 13:37:00 - 14:00:00
I was seeing it via our application rather than calling the API directly so I don’t have any correlation IDs unfortunately.
I’ve just been trying to recreate it but it’s behaving as I’d expect now: when the PAS doesn’t respond in 2 minutes ERS returns a 504 with code PAS_NOT_RESPONDING. I’ll keep an eye out to see if it happens again.
Thanks,
Dan
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for this extra information. I have been able to track down the logs from this UBRN.
This situation happens when a cancellation request and another concurrent update to the same referral (essentially a simultaneous rebook) land at almost the same time. During this race condition, A034 can return success without having actually confirmed your specific cancellation went through PAS, this flow was made to prevent errors when accidentally sending two of the same requests.
As you mentioned the PAS_NOT_RESPONDING 504 error you saw is the expected behaviour.
We are going to look at a fix for this and will update you when one is in progress.
Thanks again for the report,
George
Hi @Daniel_Woodhead,
A fix has been created and will now be tested by our team. Once again, thanks for raising this and hopefully you wont see this issue in the future once the fix is released.
Thanks,
George