How can I access integration testing with the RESTful APIs?

Some of our RESTful APIs have test environments you can use for more realistic testing than is possible in a sandbox.

These include:

  • the external development environment (DEV) - for early development testing of a few specific APIs, including authorisation and authentication testing with NHS login, or API-specific testing tools
  • the integration test environment (INT) - for integration testing of most APIs including authorisation, release and assurance testing

Thanks for sharing Ernest! That page had the base URLS and all of the steps to get set up with integration testing. Thank you!

The separate DEV and INT environments make sense here. I’d use DEV for the initial authentication and API checks, then move to INT for the full integration flow and assurance testing. Keeping those stages separate also makes troubleshooting much easier when an API call fails.

For Salesforce projects that involve external systems, I’ve found the same principle useful: test the integration independently before adding the full business workflow. If calling is part of the setup, this overview of Best Salesforce CTI Tools for Integration may also be useful.