Development with needs of ethnic minorities in mind? [workshop]

[Please let me know if this kind of post is not allowed, i will delete]

Are any of the developers interested in a workshop we are organising to co-design concepts of online-harm reducing tools for ethnic minorities?
The workshop is part of an ESPRC funded project “Protecting Minority Ethnic Communities Online” (PRIME), with researchers from Heriot-Watt University, Cranfield University, University of Glasgow, The Open University and University of York. The project aims to deliver innovative harm-reduction interventions, processes, and technologies for digital services in the areas of health, social housing, and energy, and to create safer online spaces for the UK’s minoritised ethnic (ME) population.

This latest workshop builds up from the findings of an extensive survey, interviews, workshops, and machine learning analysis undertaken so far within the PRIME project. These activities were conducting with people from minority ethnic (ME) background and with relevant stakeholders such as service providers and policy representatives.

This workshop will focus on co-designing concepts of harm-reduction technologies with attendees. We are particularly looking for participants from: service and platform designers and developers, data and computer scientists from health sectors. These participants will join minority ethnic people, service providers, and policy representatives in co-designing the concepts.

Workshop will be held in-person in Birmingham:
• Time & Date: Thursday 18 April 2024, 10:30-12:30, + lunch
• Location: Conference Aston, Aston University, Aston St, Birmingham B4 7ET
• Eventbrite link + agenda for Birmingham workshop: www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/872615535557 (plz register if you are interested)

No prior experience of co-design is required for participation. The workshop is free and will be 2 hours long, followed by a catered lunch. Local travel reimbursement is also available. Travel reimbursement from outside Birmingham may also be considered on case-to-case basis. Please inquire. An alternate venue in Glasgow is also available if that’s more convenient.

For any questions, please feel free to reach out to me:
Dr Mehdi Rizvi (s.rizvi@hw.ac.uk) or reply here.